WASHINGTON, D.C. – Twenty-four Republican governors, led by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, released the following statement in support of Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s efforts to secure the border:
“The federal government’s response handling the expiration of Title 42 has represented a complete failure of the Biden Administration.
“While the federal government has abdicated its duties, Republican governors stand ready to protect the U.S.-Mexico border and keep families safe.
“All states have suffered from the effects of deadly illegal drugs coming across the border, and every state is a border state due to the devastating influx of drugs in our communities. Republican governors are leading the way to address the border crisis by increasing fentanyl sentencing and increasing support for law enforcement interdiction of drugs, among other measures.
“Texas Governor Greg Abbott has exemplified leadership at a critical time, leading the way with Operation Lone Star, and deploying the Texas Tactical Border Force to prevent illegal crossings and keep the border secure. We support the efforts to secure the border led by Governor Abbott.”
Led by Governor Kim Reynolds (IA), additional signatories include: Governor Kay Ivey (AL), Governor Mike Dunleavy (AK), Governor Sarah Sanders (AR), Governor Ron DeSantis (FL), Governor Brian Kemp (GA), Governor Brad Little (ID), Governor Eric Holcomb (IN), Governor Mike Parson (MO), Governor Tate Reeves (MS), Governor Greg Gianforte (MT), Governor Jim Pillen (NE), Governor Doug Burgum (ND), Governor Chris Sununu (NH), Governor Joe Lombardo (NV), Governor Mike DeWine (OH) Governor Kevin Stitt (OK), Governor Henry McMaster (SC), Governor Kristi Noem (SD), Governor Bill Lee (TN), Governor Spencer Cox (UT), Governor Glenn Youngkin (VA), Governor Jim Justice (WV), and Governor Mark Gordon (WY).
Republican governors, under the leadership of border-state-governors Greg Abbott and former governor Doug Ducey, have consistently stepped up where the Biden Administration has failed:
- In April 2022, 26 Republican governors joined together to sign the American Governor’s Border Strike Force to respond to the Border Crisis through cross-state law enforcement efforts to share intelligence, strengthen analytical and cybersecurity efforts, and improve humanitarian efforts to protect children and families.
- In October 2021, Republican governors, led by Governors Greg Abbott (TX) and Doug Ducey (AZ), released ten policy solutions the Biden administration could enact immediately to protect America, restore security, and put us on a path to end the crisis at the southern border.
- Nearly a dozen Republican governors joined together in Mission, TX to meet with Texas Department of Public Safety officials and discuss how these steps could reduce record levels of illegal immigration.
- In September 2021, 26 Republican governors, led by Governors Greg Abbott (TX) and Doug Ducey (AZ), issued a joint letter to President Joe Biden requesting a meeting to discuss the crisis on the southern border. President Biden never responded.
- In June 2021, Governors Doug Ducey (AZ) and Greg Abbott (TX) sent a letter to all fellow Governors requesting support for border security under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC).
- Governors sent National Guard deployments, state troopers, local law enforcement.